Interdistrict Transfer Information

2023/24 School Year

SMJUSD will accept outgoing Interdistrict transfers for the 2023/24 school year through March 31.  Forms for the current school year may be found here. 

2023/24 forms will not be accepted for 2024/25 school year. 

2024/25 School Year

Forms for the 2024/25 school year will be available beginning March 1, 2024. 

The reasons SMJUSD may accept a request are:

Allen Bill (Parent Employment)

 Permits a school district to deem a pupil to have complied with the residency requirements for school attendance in the district if at least one parent/guardian of the pupil is physically employed within the boundaries of that district. 


You may request a transfer for your child to attend school in another district where his/her siblings are enrolled in grades TK-8. As we are a feeder school for Paso Robles High School, interdistrict transfers cannot be granted to Paso Robles school district if the sibling is attending Paso Robles High. 

Complete Final Year at Current School

You may request a transfer for your child to attend their current school for their final year at that school. (5th or 6th grade for elementary school or 8th grade for middle school). 

Proposed Change in Residence

This reason may be used if you have secured housing in another district and will be moving their shortly. Please provide copy of escrow documents or rental agreements. 

Specialized Program

An interdistrict request may be granted for your child to attend a school with a specialized program that SMJUSD does not currently offer. 

Healthy and Safety

An interdistrict transfer permit may be issued or approved by the District when a student, because of special physical or mental need, is unable to attend a school in the district of residence. 

Interdistrict requests will be denied unless all required documents are submitted. 


Requests for the current school year will receive final approval within 30 days of receipt of all required documents. 

Requests for the next school year will receive final approval within 14 days of the commencement of instruction for that school year. 

Process for Submitting an Interdistrict Permit Request

Once all forms are complete, please email, mail or drop off forms at the district office. Email forms to Susie Salsa at

Mail or drop off forms to 1601 L Street, San Miguel, CA 93451. 

Conditions Under Which an Existing Interdistrict Transfer Permit May Be Revoked