Updates on COVID-19 and our school closures
Currently we are in the process of planning for our reopening. We are planning on having all students return to campus on August 20, 2020. We are looking at two models at this time:
- A traditional plan with all students returning for full days
- Pros- children are back at school full time which is great for learning, emotional well-being, and normalcy to family life
- Cons- Socially distancing would be impossible, use of masks would be highly likely (exceptions for children with health concerns), higher risk for students and staff for infection.
- A hybrid plan with students returning to school for half-days and completing distance learning the other half of the day
- Pros- children are back at school most days (Wednesdays would be distance learning only for deep cleaning and teacher prep), Class groups would be very small (average 12 children) which allows for social distancing and only optional masks
- Cons- schedule can be difficult for families (siblings will be place in same group, AM or PM)
We plan to turn these plans in to the San Luis Obispo County Health Department by early July and have the Board of Trustees vote on the plans on July 16, 2020 at a special board meeting to be held through Zoom. Your feedback from the survey has been greatly appreciated and taken into consideration when forming these plans.
SMJUSD is distributing free lunch and breakfast daily. Our food service will continue through summer vacation.
SMJUSD está distribuyendo alimentos diario. Nuestro servicio de comidas continuará durante vacaciones de verano.